Thursday, December 11, 2008

Top Three Characters

This semester I can truly say that I have been able to experience so many wonderful characters. They are all so unique and different and can teach everyone something about themselves. If I had to pick three characters though that I enjoyed reading the most about I would have to say Eva Peace, Romney Wordsworth, and Brioney. 

Eva Peace:
She has an array of characters living in her house which she feels solely responsible for. Since her husband deserted her with three children she gets her leg run over by a train to collect the insurance so she can provide for them. She cares so much for the people sharing her roof that it turns her into not only giving life but taking life. I think that Eva is such a strong character because she not only gives life to her son Plum but then when he is truly suffering she takes it away. To take your own child's life because you can see the bigger picture and realize that, that is the best thing for him is truly a heroic act. Eva also almost sacrifices herself in attempting to save her daughter Hannah from burning in the fire. I think that Eva is truly one of the more heroic characters that we have read about this year even if it does not seem that way at first. 

Romney Wordsworth: 
     Even though the video "The Obsolete Man" was not something that we spent a lot of time on this semester I think that one can learn a lot from Romney Wordsworth. He is living in a society in which the citizens are not suppose to think for themselves, a mindless society. To remain faithful to what he believes in he goes against the state and does not back down. Even when he knows that his punishment will be death he does not give into their tyranny. To be told that one is obsolete and that you should be liquidated is a hard thing to stand up against. Wordsworth stands by his faith and truly believes in an afterlife which is evident when he is so close to death but so calm. I think that Romney Wordsworth is one of the most important characters we have read about because of how much one can learn from his actions. He truly fit the statement that actions speak louder than words. 

Brioney:
My last character that I think left the biggest impact on me was Brioney. Even though I began the novel and almost three fourths of the way through it disliking her so much I think that she truly has a good heart she just had to find it. Brioney ruins so many peoples lives at such a young age but then ruins her own by spending the rest trying to find a way to compensate for her wrongs. She turns to suffering because of how much the people around her suffered from her actions. I truly believe that Brioney searched for atonement which is why she wrote the book the way that she did. I think that she was in fault for not telling the truth when she figured out her wrongs that she committed but I think that Brioney did truly suffer for her wrongs. I think that she is a character that we can learn forgiveness and atonement from which is very important. 

I have loved everything we have read this semester and all of the characters that we have gotten to explore. Thank you for giving me that opportunity! 

No comments: